Saturday, March 9, 2024

Project Quilting 15.5: Wearables

For this Challenge, the projects must feature wearables- clothing apparel or accessories. Maybe an article of clothing repurposed into a quilt. Or an actual garment (clothing). When I began sewing, it was apparel and then costumes for the theatre stage {my BFA major in college}. As my grandchildren have gotten older, they prefer "store-bought" clothing, you know how that goes, lol.

Back to the Challenge. We can choose to make a quilt that is somehow representative of wearables. The project doesn't have to be a quilt though. My project is a little quilt that features Sunbonnet Sue and Suspender Sam. The patterns are from a book by Eleanor Burns {that I purchased many years ago} titled Sunbonnet Sue Visits Quilt in a Day®, ©1992. This little quilt is based upon Patricia Knoechel's wall quilt {on the book's inside back cover, titled Springtime}. Back in 2014-15, I made the full-size bed quilt for my granddaughter.

Sue and Sam are dressed in traditional Amish-inspired clothing colors. These characters just scream "wearables", don't they? Most of us instantly recognize those little dresses and bonnets, suspenders and hats. My little quilt measures approx. 9" X 11", and is machine quilted with walking foot echo stitching around each child. The children are both machine appliquéd. Project title is Amish Friends. This was my first time using a striped fabric for binding. 'Can see that more precision will be needed in the future with matching those stripes. Have you ever used it? Be sure to visit the party to see all of the creative wearables. Sending many thanks to the Project Quilting hosts for another fun and inspiring Challenge! Oh, and happy National Quilting Month everyone!

♥ Completed WIP/UFO quilts in 2024: 3 ♥

~Project Quilting Season 15.5 Link Party~


Blessings, Danice G.

6 comments:

Prims By The Water said...

Your lil quilt reminds me of the Amish. Cute idea. Janice

The Joyful Quilter said...

Such a sweet mini quilt, Danice! I think you did a fine job of matching the binding stripes. I don't stress over that when I use striped binding.

Joyful Quilter said...

Very cute! Definitely recognizable wearables!

Danice G said...

Thank you all. I really am happy about how this little quilt turned out.

Danette said...

This is adorable! Little quilts are so much fun.

PersimonDreams said...

perfect! Love this!